It's suggested to make low invest for new learners of anglers and then update better equipment based on your levels and experience.
1. Firstly, the lure rods: lure fishing beginners could select rods at the length of 6.6 feet which is around 2 meters, because long rods are not easy to cast and short ones are not easy to get far. Rods should be neither too hard, nor too short, and the Action is L/ML, suitable lures are around 3 to 12 g. You could get a good lure rod at the cost of 40 to 130 USD. Check detail of the rod specifications.
2. Reels: new beginners could select model 1000 model 2000 with 1.5 to 2.0 spec to reach 200 meters. Spinning reels are best choice which are easy to learn. Steel or metal ones are preferable at the price of dozens of dollars. Casting reels are different from the spinning reels, which have strong power but require longer adaptation for new beginners.
3. Fishing line: new beginners should select 100 meters lines of No.1.5 to 2.0. The lure lines could not be crude, which are not easy to cast. Because the spinning reels are propeller outgoing lines, crude lines will have strong resistance when passing the traverse loops, resulting in the tension of casting and short distance. Don’t worry about the pulling by fine lines. No.1.5 to 2.0 lines could catch fishes of 7 to 8 kg.
4. Lures: new beginners should learn how to use minnow first. The operating skills of soft plastics are difficult, you can practice step by step.
5. Selection of minnow:
Small size slip floating minnows are good choices. Don’t dive deeper than 0.5 meters. You could use minnow at night or when the fishes are preying on the water.
Minnow with big slip boards could dive 1.0 to 2.0 meters, which is preferred for intense fish targets or search on days.
Sinking minnow, select several minnows that are cheap and practical to search for fishes in deep water.
6. Lure pliers: a must-have tool for lure fishers.